Question: Soil Level error

Questions and other topics related to UEMS 18.
michaelwx

Question: Soil Level error

Post by michaelwx » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 pm

This may be the wrong forum but I'm stumped and need an answer. I'm using UEMS v. 19.8.1 and after downloading era20c, processing the file as per Robert's instructions to convert it to GRIB2, running ems_prep --dset era20c --date 20020201 --domains 2,3 --length 360 --analysis (where the run completes without error) and then ems_run --domain 2,3 I end with the error:
NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVEL must be greater than 1

I've attempted to change namelist.real and NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVEL is re-written when I run ems_run. I've looked at other geogrid files but none seems have the parameter I need to change. I've also thoroughly searched the User's Manual but there doesn't seem to be a flag or parameter that can be set for soil levels.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Michael Allen
mdwxman@protonmail.com

michaelwx

Re: Question: Soil Level error

Post by michaelwx » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:29 pm

I just downloaded Vtable.ERA-interim_pl from the RDA Website. Will this repair the error?

Michael Allen
mdwxman@protonmail.com
Michael Allen
Industrial Weather

michaelwx

Post by michaelwx » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:23 pm

I cleaned all the previous GRIB2 files, downloaded Vtable.ERA-interim.pl, then re-ran both ems_prep --dset era20c --date 20020201 --length 360 --analysis: no error. As soon as I ran ems_run --domains 2,3 the same error occurred:
NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVEL must be greater than 1.

Apparently Vtable.ERA-interim.pl (the Vtable specified at the RDA site for ds626.0) is not the answer.

Does anyone know the source of this parameter OR know how to modify it?

Michael Allen
mdwxman@protonmail.com
Michael Allen
Industrial Weather

michaelwx

Post by michaelwx » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:32 pm

I did some additional experimentation:
- Removed /dwiz from file references e.g., namelist.wps
Examined GRIB1 and GRIB2 files after ems_prep.

I discovered GRIB1 files have references to soil moisture levels but in different file names. On the other hand, GRIB2 files are missing soil_levels. If ems_run (real) cannot "see" soil_levels that would be a problem. I've cleaned the subdirectory and I'll start from scratch using only GRIB1.

In the meantime, I tried with ems_prep --dset nnrp and ran into a different problem:
~/domain/file missing TAVGSFC

Anyone know what this file contains and why it's missing? Or am I talking to empty space here?

Michael
Michael Allen
Industrial Weather

michaelwx

Post by michaelwx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:05 pm

I found my answer (sort of). There is a flag in one of the setup files enabling the software to choose 0 as the number of soil levels. In the meantime, I dug deep into the scripts and the code itself for additional info.

Michael
Michael Allen
Industrial Weather

michaelwx

Post by michaelwx » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:04 am

I found the answer buried in ~/uems/conf/ems_run is a file named run_wrfreal.conf. Lines 134 - 139 is an option re: Use Levels Below Ground. Simply changging the default to "F" eliminates the issue. Why this happened remains unknown, at least to me.

Michael
Michael Allen
Industrial Weather