Run simulation in two parts / restarts

Forum dedicated to older versions of EMS package (WRFEMS v3.2, v3.1 or older). Support is user-to-user based, so please help others if you can.
j0nes2k

Run simulation in two parts / restarts

Post by j0nes2k » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Hello,

I am running real-time forecasts based on the GFS model. My forecasts are initialized with the 00-hour forecast and run up to +78 hours. As the computation takes quite some time and I want to see the first results earlier and so that I don't have to wait until the complete simulation has ended, I had the the following idea:

Let the forecast run for up to +24 hours, then save the results as a restart file. Do the postprocessing (convert to GrADS) on these 24-hour forecast, then continue to run the simulation until +78 hours are reached.

Do you know if this is possible? If so, how do I have to configure my model?

Best regards,
Jonas

meteoadriatic

Re: Run simulation in two parts / restarts

Post by meteoadriatic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi,

it should be possible, but, why don't you use autopost scripts - it will postprocess output files almost immediately as they are dumped to the disk (that is, during model run)?

j0nes2k

Post by j0nes2k » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello,

ah, didn't know about this option (never used it before) - seems like this is just what I needed! However it is not that well documented as the rest of the EMS system, so I have another question regarding the autopost option:

My EMS output is normally a monolithic GrADS file. How does this work when using ems_autopost? Do I get single smaller GrADS files instead? Are these files automatically transferred to my target machine then during the ems_autopost step?

Thank you again for your help!

Best regards,
Jonas

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't really know; I tried this long way ago, with WRF EMS v2, so I honestly don't remember everything, and also then I didn't used monolitic gribs. I recommend that you try it out, or maybe somebody else has better information. And, you can even try to run all that on single machine, it didn't slowed down my runs that much.