NMM or ARW Core for 10m-wind

All other topics about postprocessing model data (GrADS and other software), about other numerical weather prediction software (including WRF-NMM and WRF-ARW discussion unrelated to UEMS/WRF EMS), and general meteorology talk go in this forum.
j0nes2k

NMM or ARW Core for 10m-wind

Post by j0nes2k » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Hello,

I am thinking about which core to use. I know that both cores were developed by different people, and that NMM is running faster. However, which one is more accurate? My main target is 10m-winds over Europe - has anyone verified both cores against the measured wind speeds? If NMM would run fast and be more accurate, this would probably be the best.

Thank you for your answer!

Best regards,
Jonas Kaufmann

meteoadriatic

Re: NMM or ARW Core for 10m-wind

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Not sure that anybody did such verifications at scientific level. I presume that will be very dependent on the geographic area, that is, for one area NMM could be better, for another ARW will do better forecast. Just my opinion on that topic.

Keep in mind that in the same running time, and over same area, you can get much finer resolution from NMM because of relative running speed, so the terrain will be much more accurate reproduced in model and thus, 10m wind field over complicated terrain should be simulated more precise using NMM. But it seems to me, that with same horizontal resolution, ARW will give you more details than NMM (maybe due to less/different terraing smoothing in geogrid).

j0nes2k

Re: NMM or ARW Core for 10m-wind

Post by j0nes2k » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Hello,

thank you for your answer! So basically it should be possible to run NMM with a higher resolution than ARW, given that I want to use the same processing time, right?

Any other opinions on that topic?

Jonas