Amd FX 8350

Looking for new hardware to run WRF? Intel or AMD? Check this forum.
dominic

Re: Amd FX 8350

Post by dominic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:26 pm

meteoadriatic wrote:You mean CPU cooler? Mugen 3:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/1 ... UGEN3.html

Amazing, I'm focused on the cooler master. You got it overclocked a lot to have that dual-fan heatsink

have you thought about something liquid?

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 pm

No, liquid cooling is too unreliable in my opinion. Too risky to use for serious application. And I don't push CPU, so I don't need any above good air cooler. Mugen 3 is all I need and much more (I run it with just 1 fan).

dominic

Post by dominic » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:05 am

It 's very interesting as a heat sink, I am facing something cheaper. the fact is that I will put before you begin to perform with wrf run, partly because from what I was able to watch with the core 2 quad, temperatures squirt up with the original intel heatsink.

A question that arises is: but the WRF, stresses the CPU more than a game like Crysis 3 or Battefield?

I think that these games are resting more on the GPU, however, interesting to understand what software stressi more CPU, WRF does not fall below 95% usage for core!

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 am

Core2Quad original cooler mounting system is idiotic. It is way too easy to not fit it correctly and CPU temperature is then much higher than should be. That is why I prefer coolers that are fitted by screwing backplate on the motherboard. You can find cheaper than Mugen 3 that has backplate system mounting.

Now I found that for example, real.exe warms up CPU several degrees more than WRF. And both utilize it 100%. Why, I don't know. It is obvious that different calculation type warms CPU differently, regradless of CPU utilization being same. I have no idea how much games do.

Very important factor in choosing CPU cooler is obviously, ambient temperature. If you have controlled ambient temperature (air conditioned 24h/day) then you can chose something cheaper for cooling. Instead if your ambient temperature in summer months raises to 35°C like mine, then you have to pay more attention to cooling. For project where I use 3770K & Mugen 3, I put everything into FRACTAL DESIGN Arc Mini with 6 case fans!

Fractal Design Mini (right one):

Mugen 3 on the board:

dominic

Post by dominic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 am

Hardware Excellent choice, I think the motherboard is an asus :), I notice that the Rams have a passive heatsink. Cabbage mugen 3 is very high!, I wonder if you sincerely to enter into a standard case, or if the bank can close properly.

Forward your case is open?, Ie there is only one network? you assembled without cd-rom?

I notice that you have another computer on the left, share information via lan with that of the WRF? or login using remote software for management.

6 fans? to me there are now 3 and are already quite a noise: D, I use a Case of COLORSit, with the front display for temperature. I am quite well, in that assemblerò my new pc :)

dominic

Post by dominic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:00 am

Regarding the issue of the use of the CPU, I did some checking (on windows 7) through the Task Manger, by minimizing Battelfield 3.

Well, the CPU is not fully strained, the Core 1 has a margin of 65%, 85% of the Core 2, Core 3 70 Core 4% and 69%.

As the temperature radiator heats much less than WRF, and talk to you about an hour and a half of play at the highest resolution with an ATI Readon HD 5970!

In fact, the highest temperature in this case I is given by the GPU, through a bulb connected to the front display of the Case.

With WRF instead (1 hour and a half run), the CPU is stressed at 100%, we speak of the order of 5m resolution, the use of the 4 Core is 100% for an hour and a half, including operations to WRF TO Grads.

I came to think then that WRF, is software that much stress on the CPU, and if there is a system of refrigeration efficient, this weakens much overheating the motherboard and terminals. But then again I currently have a Core 2 Quad, once I get the I5 will make accurate test. As the Arctic Cooling heatsink may ride one immediately to avoid the risk of stressing a new CPU.

With that you can sink your overclock 3770K up to 4.5 ghz.
Last edited by dominic on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dominic

Post by dominic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:09 am

The I5 3570K and 3770K 7, both processors are unlocked, so you can clock.

The thing I'm trying to understand is whether, WRF uses the Tube boost continuous, calculating that the standard frequency of both both 3.4 and 3.5GHz, with turbobost the frequency would reach 3.8 (i5) and 3.9 (i7)

Have you tried to measure these parameters?
Last edited by dominic on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi, yes the board is Asus and those RAMs are GSkill Ripjaws Z series @ 2400MHz! Additional memory bandwitdh helps speed up WRF.

Mugen 3 is pretty tall but can fit nicely into FD Mini Arc, though can't in all cases. Mini Arc is bit wider than most mini cases. Of course you must check that CPU sink fits into your case before you buy.

Second computer is current developing/testing platform. It is older and runs only when I compile and test new WRF configurations. They are all connected on network switch. In fact I have pretty large network at home with total of 4 switches :mrgreen: I login to these computers only through ssh connection (text only). They are in spare room so fans noise isn't a problem :)

I don't push my CPUs over default frequency but you can if you want. Keep in mind that it shorten their life time. And as I don't have A/C, on summer 35°C of surrounding air, I could't do much more over default. And I guess you don't gain much by overclocking. You need to OC memory also if you want maximum results. There is no point of OC CPU if you run your RAM on 1600MHz! Go with fast RAM like 2400MHz.

Intel Turbo feature works only if not all cores are used. For example if you start one thread (on one core) and other cores are idle, it will boost frequency. If all cores are used, then it won't raise frequency! This means in WRF Turbo feature is useless.

dominic

Post by dominic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:51 pm

meteoadriatic wrote:Hi, yes the board is Asus and those RAMs are GSkill Ripjaws Z series @ 2400MHz! Additional memory bandwitdh helps speed up WRF.

Mugen 3 is pretty tall but can fit nicely into FD Mini Arc, though can't in all cases. Mini Arc is bit wider than most mini cases. Of course you must check that CPU sink fits into your case before you buy.

Second computer is current developing/testing platform. It is older and runs only when I compile and test new WRF configurations. They are all connected on network switch. In fact I have pretty large network at home with total of 4 switches :mrgreen: I login to these computers only through ssh connection (text only). They are in spare room so fans noise isn't a problem :)

I don't push my CPUs over default frequency but you can if you want. Keep in mind that it shorten their life time. And as I don't have A/C, on summer 35°C of surrounding air, I could't do much more over default. And I guess you don't gain much by overclocking. You need to OC memory also if you want maximum results. There is no point of OC CPU if you run your RAM on 1600MHz! Go with fast RAM like 2400MHz.

Intel Turbo feature works only if not all cores are used. For example if you start one thread (on one core) and other cores are idle, it will boost frequency. If all cores are used, then it won't raise frequency! This means in WRF Turbo feature is useless.

Fantastic your motherboard, I for an economic discourse I chose a Asrock, but I would have much preferred a Gigabyte, I currently have an Asus P5Q-Pro socket 775, which operates the Core 2 Quad. Personally I have never done overclocking Ram, I just overclokkato the processor, when I had a heatsink cooler master, but later returned to the phase shift of the bearing are bad to the intel stock heatsink.

On the new platform, however, will not wait even a little, there a piazzerò directly bell'Artic Cooling, which I found at an advantageous price. The artic cooling was able to cool well platform amd fx (8120), so I think that will do a good job even with the Core I5

It 'a shame, however, with the case and the heat sink that you do not make an overclock, at least to bring the I7 to 4.0GHz fixed WRF would gain a lot of benefit (I think), but still do well to keep it in its standard frequency .

How long for the Rams their function in the WRF? are most important? currently still use DDR2, but in the new machine will have DDR3 1333mhz ram (standard, without heat sink, the corsair, so do not overclockable, but if you buy a stock cooler outside, but for the moment there are no plans.

On Turbo bost, you gave me some bad news!, Oh well it does not matter with a small overclock you can bring the frequency up to 4ghz and in full should not anyway (using a heatsink as the mugen or coolermaster / artic cooling) exceed 65 / 70 degrees. It 'a shame! would have been very useful to gain some mhz using this technology.

I going many tests and check it properly operating temperatures, both playing the PC, performing some operation that file storage (compressed) or construction images (iso), which rely heavily on the CPU, then test it WRF, I definitely want to know what this program stress on our pc: D

PS: for the swich, I would like to understand better what do you need 4: D you have laptops or other control devices scattered around the house? do not tell me that you also use a tablet for remote access: P

I see that we share a passion for modding and hardware: D
Last edited by dominic on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm

I doubt there will be lot of benefit if you raise CPU core frequency from 3.4 to 4.0 GHz if you do not upgrade memory bandwidth. It might even NOT do ANY faster! WRF is strange thing, not like most "normal" software. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=366

About ASRock, don't be afraid of it because of lower price. It is currently most reliable MBO on the mainstream market!
http://www.behardware.com/articles/862- ... tes-6.html

4 switches because I have computers in three rooms and also wireless router outside... there are lot of wires to connect all that together :P No tablets here :P