Amd FX 8350

Looking for new hardware to run WRF? Intel or AMD? Check this forum.
dominic

Re: Amd FX 8350

Post by dominic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:28 am

I have assembled several computers with asrock, and I found myself often well, then I love the simple cards, not having to do overclock you do not need professional files, type Asrock Asus Pro or Pro, it is sufficient also a board asrock ranging from 40 to 70 euro.

Today I installed the new Core i5 3750, accompanied by a bank of ram 4GB (1333 MHz). : D Now I have to do the tests: D

Next week I will sink.

It would be interesting to monitor the energy consumption of the machine, I saw that on meteoadriatic.net make virtually all 4 runs. I think you have the machine switched on 24 hours 24?

Oh also depends on the share per kilo watt energy you have in croatia.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 am

Of course those computers runs 24h/day.

I calculated that this one with 3770K and one hard disk draws not more than around 120W of power and it equals around 15€/month of energy cost. Providing that it supplies one company with model data for much more money, it is pretty much profitable thing.

dominic

Post by dominic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 am

meteoadriatic wrote:Of course those computers runs 24h/day.

I calculated that this one with 3770K and one hard disk draws not more than around 120W of power and it equals around 15€/month of energy cost. Providing that it supplies one company with model data for much more money, it is pretty much profitable thing.

Very interesting, I do not know the price of energy from you as it is put. 15 euro per month.

In these cases, use a small motherboard is the best thing, I also use the video card integrated into the motherboard, so you do not have to install somewhere else.

Now I chose the 3570k for only an economic discourse.

PS: your system will automatically load the maps online? or do you just need to run the load command? I should create it, I can not load them manually every day ...

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:55 am

Everything is done through scripting in bash. I don't login at this computer for months. Every few months I only clean air filters :mrgreen:

But most of WRF products you see on meteoadriatic web is done with another one, and it is 1U Rack Fujitsu Primergy RX200 S5 with dual Xeon E5530 CPUs, mounted in big server room of one of our scientific partners, in other town... It was not touched for three years, only few times rebooted... and of course I frequently update WRF model remotely...

dominic

Post by dominic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am

meteoadriatic wrote:Everything is done through scripting in bash. I don't login at this computer for months. Every few months I only clean air filters :mrgreen:

But most of WRF products you see on meteoadriatic web is done with another one, and it is 1U Rack Fujitsu Primergy RX200 S5 with dual Xeon E5530 CPUs, mounted in big server room of one of our scientific partners, in other town... It was not touched for three years, only few times rebooted... and of course I frequently update WRF model remotely...

Wow, nice powerful, in fact it says on meteoadriatic run with dual xeon. Surely you keep them stored at a company. And basically what are you doing with your beautiful 3770K: D use it to hone your knowledges: D

Which program to use for uploading via ftp?, I really do not have the foggiest idea of ​​how to write a script in bash to automatically control wrf.

On windows it would be easier by having an automation application, which controls grads, but the problem that I, and move files on another PC.

can you give me a hand for automation? or is there some software that runs on linux commands, the commands are at the end of the terminal.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:06 am

To automate process it will depend on your particular needs so my setup won't work as is for your case. If you want help about that, of course open new topic.

About uploading one quick answer, I do it with scp command, it is "secure copy via ssh protocol". For this to work automatically, passwordless login must be set up on ssh (private/public keys).

dominic

Post by dominic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 am

ok, I open a new topic, maybe I can develop this function, otherwise it will continue patience manually.