run wrf with configuration change

Looking for new hardware to run WRF? Intel or AMD? Check this forum.
dominic

run wrf with configuration change

Post by dominic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 am

Hello everyone I would like to submit a question that I'm picking using wrf ems 3.4

We assume that in the past I was using a Core 2 Quad with version 3.1, I could run a 3km Run Core ARW in 37 minutes

The configuration was:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5 GHz
4gb Ram: DDR2 800mhz
O / S: Ubuntu 12.04

Then I switched to this configuration:

CPU: Intel Core I5 ​​3750k 3.4GHz
Ram: 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz
O / S: Ubuntu 13:10

Practically to run this run (always with wrfems 3.1) arrived to do so in 20 minutes.

Now that I've upgraded from 3.1 to 3.4 wrfems to make a run always the same domain we use 45 minutes

It 'a normal thing or depends on Ubuntu or more overheads to wrf 3.4?

meteoadriatic

Re: run wrf with configuration change

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:06 am

Run configuration is much changed from 3.1 to 3.4; different default physics, but also can be some other things that caused slowdown. Many users experienced lot of slowdown after upgrading, using same domains.

I personally like to control everything myself, and v3.4 does not allow to do that easy, so I just gave up from it. I personally see no point running anything above v3.1 (that one was best version if you ask me). Of course, v3.1 lacks some advanced stuff from v3.4, but I did all changes that I need myself.

dominic

Post by dominic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:08 am

meteoadriatic wrote:Run configuration is much changed from 3.1 to 3.4; different default physics, but also can be some other things that caused slowdown. Many users experienced lot of slowdown after upgrading, using same domains.

I personally like to control everything myself, and v3.4 does not allow to do that easy, so I just gave up from it. I personally see no point running anything above v3.1 (that one was best version if you ask me). Of course, v3.1 lacks some advanced stuff from v3.4, but I did all changes that I need myself.

Thanks Ivan, but wrfems 3.1 is no longer available? where can I get it? I formatted the pc: (

I know that the site is no longer available robert

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 am

No idea, you really shoud have keep backups of your wrf installation if you were happy with it.

Go on through configuration of your domain and try to find what options can speed up your simulation. This is "proper" way if you don't want to hack around... First thing, turn on adaptive time step if you didn't yet. Then try SW and LW radiation schemes (1) instead of (4) if (4) is default. Then see how much vertical levels you have now and how much were before if you know? Look for domain decomposition and turn it on if it is not. Also find out which numtiles value gives fastest results. Those are only general guidelines that comes to my mind right now, I'm sure there are also other things that can affect performance, just feel free to experiment.

But, keep in mind, that usually, running performance and quality of simulation are in inverse proportion for physics, number of levels, etc...