Liquid cooling

Looking for new hardware to run WRF? Intel or AMD? Check this forum.
dominic

Liquid cooling

Post by dominic » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 am

Hello everyone, what do you think of a liquid cooling system? wrf very hot because the CPU load is 100% according to the time of the run.

I was thinking of buying a kit to liquid

meteoadriatic

Re: Liquid cooling

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:33 pm

I have considered it and gave up. It seems too unreliable for serious work.

I would recommend better air cooler like Mugen 3 for example. I like the best those that are fitted to MB with backplate and then screwed to place, because that mount gives best solid contact. Those work great even when ambient temperature is 35°C, CPU temperature does not get over 60°C in my system at 100% load. If you use such good cooler and you have too hot CPU, then either it does not fit well (clean CPU and cooler surface and apply new thermal paste), or your computer case has horrible ventilation (add some case fans or replace it with better case).

Few examples how I do those computers for WRF:
Great little case for MicroATX board, with 7 (seven!) fans, Fractal Design Arc Mini (right):

Scythe Mugen 3 cooler (here is shown without fan, it can take one or two fans):

Scythe Grand Cama Cross 2 cooler, this one can fit in unusually shallow mounting space because of unique design. It cools almost as good as Mugen 3:

dominic

Post by dominic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:23 am

hello ivan, I like to have with structured your server for wrf. I took the mugen: D awesome! Mantine in full cpu fine (is there to say than however with technology nanemometri reduced is not that we should get tired that much)

I would be interested a horizontal houses like yours. how much did you pay? I saw it on ebay but I have not found anything interesting.

What brand is it?

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:49 am

It is standard mini tower case; I just put it in horizontal. Fractal Design Arc Mini is model, you can easy find it searching the net. It is one of best for money, great quality and excellent ventilation.